Frequently Asked Questions
Remodeling & Renovation in Bucks & Montgomery Counties
View our frequently asked questions below to find out more about home remodeling, our process, and more!
What is design/build?
When you decide to renovate your home, you can hire a designer to create the concept art, and then hire a contractor to bring the design to life. Or, you can hire a design/build company to handle every step of the process from start to finish.
Meridian Construction offers a design/build remodeling process to unify the workflow from initial concept to project completion. This means you have one contract, one point of contact, and one team working in unison to bring your vision to life.
The benefits of this approach include lower costs, improved communication, fewer change orders, and faster project completion. We recommend the design/build option for anyone hoping for a streamlined home renovation project.
What should I expect during the design/build renovation?
- Design: The first stage of the renovation will be the design phase. At this point, you will sit down with our designer and discuss what you are envisioning for your space. We take the time to learn about our clients in order to understand what is important to you, and how we can make this renovation turn from a dream to a reality. Once the vision is on paper, our clients can see the layout and even a 3-D model to help visualize the final outcome.
- Build: During this stage our experienced carpenters will bring your plans to life. While they are working, our designer will continue to have weekly on-site meetings with you to keep you involved in the process. They will go over what has been completed as well as what you should expect for the upcoming week.
While the work is being done, and when your home renovation project is finished, the area will always be clean. The designer will have a final walk through with you to ensure that you are completely satisfied with the final project. At this point you will be able to sit back and enjoy your new space!
Questions about design/build? Contact us today!
Is working with a professional remodeler worth the money?
If you have a renovation project in mind, now you must decide: will you hire a remodeler or do the job yourself? The chance to save money is the biggest reason homeowners consider DIY remodeling.
However, this could end up being the wrong decision if you can’t answer “yes” to all of the following questions:
- Do you have the time?
- Can you stay motivated to see the project through?
- Do you have the skills, tools, and experience?
- Are you certified to complete the necessary plumbing, electrical, and HVAC work?
- Are you an EPA Lead-Free Certified Contractor?
- Are you able to obtain the necessary and correct permits for this project?
- Do you have architectural plans to present to the township?
- Do you have the skillset to tackle any unforeseen problems?
In the end, you can save time, avoid headaches, prevent costly mistakes, and ensure a professional job well done when you leave your home remodeling project to the experts.
To discuss your project with one of our remodeling contractors, contact us today.
How long should my home remodeling project take?
The length of a project will vary depending on the scope of work, but we can give an idea of duration early in design. All of our construction agreements include an approximate start date and completion date during our design/build process.
When is the best time to remodel my home?
Home remodeling can be performed year-round depending on the project. Renovation or remodeling of interior spaces can usually be completed any time of the year, though there are aspects of projects that can be weather dependent. For example, when completing a home addition, foundation or footing work should be completed when temperatures are above freezing.
During your initial consultation, we can answer any questions you have about timelines of your project.
What is the process for a remodeling project?
Meridian Construction takes your remodeling project very seriously. That’s why we give special attention to each step along the way. Here’s what’s involved:
- Initial Meetings – A primary in-home consultation to get a sense of the scope of the project and if we are the right fit for one another.
- Site Evaluation/Project Space Measure – Measurement of the current space to determine what work will need to be done.
- Design Kick-Off Meeting – Discussion of the initial design and hearing out any concerns.
- Preliminary Design Phase – Detailed computer-aided designs drawn up for review.
- Design & Budget Overview – Project overview, tentative design, and project budget determined.
- Final Design Development Phase – Modifying proposal as needed.
- Construction Agreement & Deposit – Setting construction agreement and putting down deposit.
- Project Selection Finalization – Finalization on hardware and finishes, as well as schedule.
- Pre-Construction Meeting – Meeting to review contract and schedule.
- Start of Construction – Beginning of demolition and construction.
How much should I budget for my project?
Home remodeling is a complex process. Each project is different according to the existing structure, the size of the job, and the wants and needs of the client. To get a better understanding of the different cost ranges, you can review the Cost vs. Value Report for the current year.
Should I plan more money than the contract price?
We take time with our clients during the design process to help understand costs associated with your project. We also do our best to identify any options you may choose in the future and include pricing for those options in our proposal.
Typically, when we sign a contract with our client, we hold true to the contracted price. We take the time to go over every detail of your project to ensure the cost is accurate. If there is any additional work or changes made to the project by the homeowner, this could be an additional charge, but our designers will go over the new changes with you before any charges are incurred.
Can I live in my house while it is being remodeled?
In general, yes you can! Our carpenters take care to section off the area where they are working to minimize disturbance through the rest of your house so you can experience livable remodeling.
Do I have to worry about lead?
If lead is found, Meridian Construction is certified by the EPA in lead paint removal. You will be provided with literature to help you gain an understanding of the removal process and how we will keep your home and family safe.
What kind of cabinets are best for my kitchen remodel?
As a distributer of Wellborn Cabinets, we will be able to show you different samples of cabinet styles as well as the different finishes available. Our designer will be able to help you choose according to your vision for your kitchen remodel.
Need inspiration for your kitchen remodel? Check out our kitchen remodel gallery!
Do I have to worry about any permits?
Meridian Construction will file for all of your construction permits.
How long has Meridian Construction been in business?
Meridian Construction has been serving homeowners in the Montgomery County, Bucks County and parts of Chester County and Delaware County since 1989.
What is Meridian Construction's service area?
We cover Montgomery County, Bucks County and parts of Chester County and Delaware County.
Why should I consider using Meridian Construction for
my home remodeling and renovation needs?
Meridian Construction has been family-operated for over 25 years. We use our experience and abilities in all phases of the construction process, from start to finish. This sense of responsibility to our clients has helped us earn their trust and loyalty.
Our mission is to consistently deliver quality service to each and every customer. Read what our clients have to say about us.
How do I know if Meridian Construction is the right company for me?
We specialize in a variety of home remodeling and renovation services, including bathrooms, kitchens, basements, outdoor spaces, home additions, and whole-house renovations. If you have a major change in mind to modernize your home and make it more functional, we are the design/build team for you!
Our clients can be as involved as they like throughout the design process—whether that’s as much as possible or letting Meridian Construction take the wheel.
Our biggest priority is meeting our clients’ needs and exceeding their expectations.
To schedule a consultation with the design/build team at Meridian Construction, contact us today!
Why should I hire a NARI contractor?
NARI (National Association of the Remodeling Industry) members have to meet certain criteria to be eligible. This includes practice of NARI’s Code of Ethics as well as a pledge of commitment to high standards and practices.
We have NARI Certified Remodelers on our team to bring your home renovations and remodeling visions to life.
Learn more about NARI Members, their qualifications, and why you should hire a NARI contractor for your home remodeling project.
To work with our team of NARI Certified Remodelers, contact us today!